Friday, February 8, 2013

#5 - Always Look Before You Leap


5 – THE CABIN IN THE WOODS: Let me begin by saying that I was not sober for this movie, and it only enhanced the experience.  It’s hard to describe this movie without ruining it, but it is not at all what it seems.  It is a horror film initially, then morphs into something else where you’re not totally sure what is going on, then you have the “oh shit!” moment, and the climax is a blitzkrieg of action.  This is an impressive nod to the entire genre, which I could appreciate despite not being a fan of most horror films.  Watching these five college kids try to survive is in turns frightening and funny, and there are endless stoner jokes for those of you who enjoy that as well. It's amazingly fun. (continues after the jump)



Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard combined here to make something special.  It’s been awhile since I watched it, but I can’t wait to pop in the blu-ray sometime soon.   The special effects are constant but always impressive. I saw this with three of my roommates, each with different tastes, and we all were surprised by this movie.  Everyone loved it and we discussed it afterwards for much longer than normal.  A combination of cheeky self-awareness and a genuine appreciation for what the genre can offer, plus some points for originality earn it a place in the top 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment